The institutional strengthening and capacity building components of the FRDP includes support for the creation of Federal Roads Authority and Road Fund and carrying out some road sector management reform studies such as the development of an Asset Management System; Provision of equipment to Pavement Evaluation Unit (PEU) and Bridge Maintenance Unit (BMU) of FERMA. The project is undertaking the following activities under this component:-
- Review of National Road Design Standards: The existing Highway Manual Part 1 – Design was revised in 2008 but the exercise was not finalized. The revision of the Part 2: Maintenance was concluded in 2009 but provisions were not made for Contract Maintenance Operations. Following the subject review in 2013, the new Nigeria Highway Manuals have now been published for immediate use by the Federal Ministry of Works, Highway Engineers and other stakeholders and available for free download on www.rsdt.gov.ng
- Development of an Asset Management System: This sub-component will support the development of an Asset Management System in the Ministry’s Department of Planning and Development. The system will be an integrated system for managing roads and bridge structures for use in the planning, programming and managing of works (capital, maintenance, rehabilitation and reconstruction) on roads and bridges on the Federal Road Network. This sub-component will finance consultancy services and equipment.
- Calibration and Adaptation of HDM-4: This sub-component will finance consultancy services for calibration and adaptation of HDM 4 model to Nigerian conditions. The project is currently ongoing and its final product will enhance the proper planning and allocation of funds for highway development and maintenance projects in Nigeria.
- Support to Bridge Maintenance Unit (BMU) – Construction Equipment such as Truck Hoist & Flat Bed; Computers and Accessories; Welding Equipment & Tools; and Epoxy Resins have been fully procured and delivered to the Federal Roads Maintenance Agency (FERMA) for use on their bridges maintenance operations.
- Support to the Pavement Evaluation Unit (PEU) – Pavement Evaluation Equipment such as Truck and a Four Wheel Drive (4WD); Laboratory Testing Equipment; and Computer & Accessories have been procured and delivered to the Federal Roads Maintenance Agency (FERMA) for use on their roads maintenance operations.